Super victory in the Reserve Cup Final

Oldcastle 3-08 Moynalvey 0-10

When these sides met back in March at the start of the season, it was one of those days for Oldcastle when anything that could go wrong, did go wrong, and Moynalvey gave us an unmerciful hammering. A long hard season has gone by since then, and the Oldcastle lads had built their confidence with some fine performances in the interim, so they were looking forward to showing the South Meath men what a difference a few months can make. Moynalvey were first on the scoreboard in the Reserve Cup Div 3 Final played in Millbrook on Sunday morning(16/10/2022), with a point within a minute, but that was to be their last time in the lead!

The kickout found Mossy Flood, on to Lee Healy, to Cillian Connell and Conor Delaney, back to Cillian and on to Ben Grey: he found Garrett O’Reilly in a great position near the goals, Garrett duly blasting her to the back of the net for a super goal! Great work from Darren Hawdon got a ball to Lee Healy who was fouled and converted. Moynalvey added on a free and point of their own, before Karl Gibneys’ kickout found Darren Hawdon, on to Oran Mulvanny, to Stephen Tierney and on to Conor Delaney, he found Lee Healy making a great run on goal, Lee copped at high speed that Garrett was in a better position, quick pass and Garrett netted his second goal of the match! Cillian Connell added on Oldcastles’ next point: a super kick from way outfield that sailed straight between the posts.

A nice Ross Cadden pass to Garrett O’Reilly soon after resulted in yet another goal: with just about fifteen minutes gone in the match, a hat-trick for the blonde assassin to great appreciation from the big home crowd! Moynalvey were definitely rattled, with more wides than scores for the rest of the half, Oldcastle building on their lead with a free from Keith Connell and a point from Garrett, to leave the half-time score Oldcastle 3-05, Moynalvey 0-05.

The second-half got underway with a Moynalvey wide, followed by a lovely run and point from Ben Grey. Keith Connell took the next, before a lovely piece of play: Karl Gibneys’ kickout caught perfectly by Oran Mulvanny, sent on to Stephen Tierney: he turned and shot and put her right between the posts. Moynalvey added on a few points but the gap was still eight between the sides when they were awarded a penalty. The crowd erupted when Karl pulled off the perfect save, and from then on there was no doubt that the Cup was coming to Oldcastle! Soon after, referee Peter O’Halloran blew his whistle on a final score of Oldcastle 3-08, Moynalvey 0-10.

A super victory for this young team, and a fitting reward for their hard work all year.

Oldcastle: Karl Gibney, Mossy Flood, Joe Lynch, Lloyd Colleran, Louis Colleran, Darren Hawdon, Cillian Connell (0-01), Ross Cadden (Captain), Oran Mulvanny, Lee Healy (0-02), Conor Delaney, Ben Grey (0-01), Garrett O’Reilly (3-01), Stephen Tierney (0-01), Keith Connell (0-02). Subs: Kyle Kavanagh, Lorcan Fox, Josh Halpin, Jack Murphy, Brian Hetherton, Conor Hetherton, Mattie Cadden.