Sheridan Scoring Spree powers Minors to victory.

Oldcastle 6-14 Blackhall Gaels 2-09
A convincing win by the Oldcastle U-17s against Blackhall Gaels in Ballinlough on Friday (25 October 2019) will hopefully be enough to secure a place in the final. Oldcastle were on the scoreboard within minutes, a Pearse Sheridan free from a tight angle miraculously dropping over the keeper’s head for a goal! Ryan Kevin made great work of a kick-out soon after, moving it on to Pearse who was running on goal, and hit the back of the net again! D.J. Monaghan slotted over a nice point, before a super Ben Grey catch brought down a kick-out, on to James McCluskey who was fouled, Pearse stepped up to take the free, and once again managed to slip it by the keeper! Colin Halpin added another fine point. A big Blackhall Gaels lad was getting frustrated at their lack of any score at this point and took the legs from under Conor Boylan, before helpfully shouting at his manager to help them out and make changes! “Yeah, you’ll be coming off if you do that again” he was told in no uncertain terms to great mirth on the Oldcastle sidelines.
The speedy Ben Grey was doing great work all-over, and nabbed himself a lovely goal, while Pearse continued to punish BHGs by converting multiple frees. Defence were impressive, with Ross McCann not too busy, but pulling off good saves when the ball did get that far. BHG’s finally got going in the last few minutes of the half, a blunder gifting them an easy goal, followed a minute later by a converted penalty. The half-time score read Oldcastle 6-08, Blackhall Gaels 2-02.
Conditions in Ballinlough were perfect, but by Jesus it was cold, so a good hot cup of tea at half-time was just the business and thawed out frozen fingers. Thanks to Susan Farrell and Edel Ryan for the hospitality!
Back to business on the pitch, and it was Blackhall Gaels who took the first point. Pearse added one for Oldcastle from play, but BHGs came back with three unanswered. Pearse and then Eoin Muldoon added to the Oldcastle tally, and with the referee looking at his watch the BHG’s keeper’s kick-out was caught brilliantly by Ciaran Connell who fired it straight back over the bar for another. The final score of the game was aptly taken by Pearse whose personal tally would win many a match. A good solid performance from all tonight.
Rathkenny and Moynalvey/Boardsmill play tomorrow afternoon, if Rathkenny win we will meet them in a final, if Moynalvey/Boardsmill win then it will be level peggings in top three and will go to play-offs.

Oldcastle: Ross McCann, Mark Coyle, Colin Halpin (0-01), Brian Hetherton, Paul Wade, Lloyd Colleran, Conor Boylan, James McCluskey, Ryan Kevin, J.P. Purcell, Ben Grey (1-00), Ciaran Connell (0-01), Pearse Sheridan (5-10), D.J. Monaghan (0-01). Subs: Eoin Muldoon (0-01), Eoin Smith, James Tuite, Cormac O’Connell, Kane Cullen.

Minor Championship Update:
As score difference can’t be used to separate Moynalvey/Boardsmill, Rathkenny and Oldcastle in the LMFM MFC Division 5, Coiste Mionúir have done a draw for a play-off betweeen the three sides.
The results of this draw are as follows.
Oldcastle v Moynalvey/Boardsmill on Tuesday October 29th at 8pm in Millbrook.
The winner will progress directly to the final.
Rathkenny play the loser of Oldcastle/Moynalvey/Boardsmill in Rathkenny at 11am on Saturday November 2nd.
The winner of this game plays the winner of the first game in the final, with the loser then partaking in the Shield.