Minors showed great team spirit to see off Carnaross/Moynalty

Oldcastle 3-17 Carnaross/Moynalty 4-11

Oldcastle looked down and out with minutes remaining, but with a serious team spirit and hard work they battled back and secured the top spot of the MFC Division 3A and a home semi final now awaits them. (Played on Monday 17.09.2018 in Millbrook)

Originally fixed for Sunday morning, but postponed due to no referee it was Pearse Sheridan who opened the scoring with a well taken point. The visitors opened their account with a point. Ross McCann took the resulting goal kick and found Joseph Lynch. Some great inter play from Joseph, Colin Hawdon and Cillian Connell resulted in the ball been released to James McCluskey who made no mistake and fired the ball to the net. Pearse Sheridan added another goal minutes later. Oldcastle looked like they were about to pull away with the help of a very strong breeze and points from Colin Hawdon and Pearse Sheridan. The forwards were doing the scoring but the backs were working very hard with Joseph Lynch and Aaron Getty not giving their men an inch in the half back line and Oran Mulvanny was winning a lot of ball around the middle. Ross McCann made a great save from close range but to everyone dismay ref Gerry Skelly awarded a penalty to Carnaross\Moynalty. This was converted to the net to leave the score Oldcastle 2-5 Carnaross/Moynalty 1-4. The sides swapped points heading towards the break however Colin Hawdon was going to make sure Oldcastle finished on a high with a goal to leave the half time score Oldcastle 3-8 Carnaross\Moynalty 1-7.

Oldcastle took time to settle in the second half and were now kicking into a strong wind. The visitors grabbed two goals to throw the game wide open. The large crowd in Millbrook were been highly entertained with two fine teams giving it their all. The visitors hit the front and thought the game was in the bag when they went 3 points clear. Oldcastle were not taking it lying down and showed a great level of maturity as the whole squad put their shoulder to the wheel to reel in the opposition. Having to work hard to get the ball into the scoring zone they started to claw back the scores point by point. Having just missed a free minutes earlier the impressive Colin Hawdon stepped up and converted a free after a foul on James McCluskey. Pearse Sheridan grabbed another point before James McCluskey fired over the bar. Pearse Sheridan added a final point to ensure a hard earned but well deserved victory.

The Minors now play St Oliver’s in the MFC Div 3 Semi-Final  on Monday, 1 October, in Millbrook @ 8.00 pm

Oldcastle: Ross McCann, Darragh Reilly, Louis Colleran, Cillian Hanlon, Aaron Getty, Jack Fox, Joseph Lynch, Oran Mulvanny (0-1), Pearse Sheridan (1-4), Jack Murphy, Coin Hawdon (1-9), Darren Connell, James McCluskey (1-2), Cillian Connell (0-1), Charlie Lynch
Subs: Mark Coyle, Ciaran Healy, Conor Smith, Lloyd Colleran