Westmeath retain the Gerry Reilly U-16 FT Cup + 2011 Reports

Gerry Reilly Memorial U16 Football Tournament Final 2011
Westmeath 0-11 Dublin 0-3Westmeath retained the Gerry Reilly Memorial U16 football trophy in wet conditions at Millbrook, outside Oldcastle, last Wednesday night (September 14) when they pulled away from a dogged Dublin outfit to win the title for the eighth time.

The lads in maroon and white were undoubtedly the slicker outfit overall and fully deserved their repeat win over the metropolitans, having cruised past the Dubs by 1-14 to 1-2 in the round robin section earlier this year. However, while it was a very different Dublin selection which took the field last Wednesday (only four players started both games), they were no match for Thomas McDonnell’s well-drilled and skilful charges who have provided a ray of hope for Lake County fans, starved of minor and U21 success for over a decade. A very decent Westmeath crowd made the trip to the County Meath venue for the final despite inclement weather all evening and they were rewarded with a gutsy display from start to finish by this promising group of players.

Dublin took the lead in the second minute courtesy of a fine angled shot from Michael Deegan (a son of the former Dublin star of the same name). Both sides struggled to cope with the very heavy drizzle and the consequent slippery underfoot conditions until Luke Loughlin levelled the contest in the ninth minute from a close-range free. Dublin soon wasted a glorious chance of a goal, with Sam Tully surprisingly content to take a point when well positioned. The losers’ profligacy continued for the rest of the first moiety (albeit a tight-marking Lake County defence made shooting difficult for their opponents) and Westmeath made better use of their share of possession. Luke Loughlin (deservedly named in the post-match presentations as official man of the match) helped Westmeath to an interval lead with a brace of points, from a free in the 22nd minute and a classy score from play (after fine interplay with Anthony McGivney) in the last action of the half in added-time. At the break, Westmeath led by 0-3 to 0-2.

Within 20 seconds of the resumption of play, Dublin had a ‘goal’ correctly disallowed when Sam Tully fisted the ball directly to the net. Luke Loughlin soon doubled the winners’ lead with his supposedly weaker right foot, albeit his curling shot appeared to most observers in the stand to have been wide of the target. His colleague Rob Hickey was then very unlucky to see a terrific effort for a point come back into play via the top of the crossbar. In the 41st minute, Darragh Lyons opened his account when he rounded off a flowing move with a well-taken point. Westmeath began to dominate proceedings at this juncture and were rewarded with an impressive four-point haul between the 46th and 51st minutes. Two of these points came from the boot of Darragh Lyons (the first from a tricky free and the second a wonderful shot from play from 40 metres), with Conor Marlowe (a tremendous 45-metre free from the ground in difficult underfoot conditions) and Luke Loughlin (after an eye-catching run by the hard-working Shane Corcoran) accounting for the other two. With five minutes of normal time remaining, Conor Gallagher kicked the Dubs’ only score of the second half from a routine free. However, with their delighted supporters in full voice, Westmeath could afford some wayward shooting and yet fittingly round off a fine display with two further points – a composed finish by the ever-threatening Luke Loughlin and another outstanding free from the ground by Conor Marlowe.

Luke Loughlin receieved the ‘Man of the match’ award.
After the game, Mrs Claire Reilly, mother of promising footballer Gerry Reilly RIP, who died aged 16 following an accident in 1987, presented the trophy in her son’s memory to the victorious Westmeath captain, Darragh Lyons.Scorers – Westmeath: L Loughlin 0-6 (2 frees), D Lyons 0-3 (1 free), C Marlowe 0-2 (frees). Dublin: C Gallagher (free), M Deegan and S Tully 0-1 each.Westmeath: Daragh Newman; Andrew McCormack, Liam Varley, Brian O’Donoghue; Dylan Keena, Rob Hickey, Conor Marlowe; Ryan Caffrey, Theo Watts; John Corbally, Shane Corcoran, Anthony McGivney; Luke Loughlin, Darragh Lyons, Aaron Glynn. Subs: Ryan Maher for Glynn (38), Philip Ganley for Corbally (43).

Dublin: James Murtagh; Eoin O’Connor, Kevin Killion, Conor Mullins; Eoghan O’Donnell, Alan Kavanagh, Sean Cleary; Stephen McDonald, Ciaran Smith; Conor Gallagher, Michael Deegan, Cillian Sheanon; Sam Tully, Gregory Murphy, Shane McGrath. Subs: Gabriel Dennehy for Killion (39), Tom Hanafin for McDonald (43), Lee O’Brien for McGrath (45), Andrew Murphy for Gregory Murphy and Daniel Campbell for Sam Tully

Dublin win in Overtime

posted 22 Aug 2011, 08:03 by Oldcastle GFC   [ updated 22 Aug 2011, 19:04 ]

Dublin 1-18 Meath 2-11 (After Extra Time)

Dublin qualified to meet Westmeath in the final of the Gerry Reilly U-16 FT with a very exciting play-off win after extra time. Dublin had most of the scoring chances in a low scoring first half of normal time and led by 0-4 (Michael Deegan (2), Jamie Doyle & Conor Gallagher) to 0-2 (Ruarí Ó Coillean and Nathan O’Brien) at the break. Indeed they should have been much more ahead if they had converted all their chances.

H/T: Dublin 0-4 Meath )-2

In the second half points from Dublin’s Gregory Murphy and Sam Tully stretched Dublin’s lead. Niall Kane pulled one back for Meath before Michael Deegan got Dublin’s goal. Dublin added 5 points to their tally to Meath’s single point to give them a 10 points lead at 1-11 to 0-4. It looked all over at this stage, but 2 points from substitute, Niall Lyons saw the start of Meath’s fight back. Stefan Kelly got a point for Meath and then 2 Meath goals  (Ruarí Ó Coillean and Shane Gallogly) had just a point between the sides. Dublin responded with a point to go 2 up, but the never say die attitude of Meath got the 2 final scores of the second half (Robbie McDonnell and James McEntee) to have the sides level at the final whistle.

F/T: Meath 2-9 Dublin 1-12

In the first half of extra time, Michael Deegan put Dublin ahead. Meath’s Niall Lyons got the equaliser and it was still anyone’s game. Gregory Murphy’s point gave Dublin the lead at the end of the first half of extra time.

H/T (Extra Time): Dublin 1-14 Meath 2-10

In the second half of extra time points it was Dublin who got the crucial scores from Conor Gallagher (2), Eoghan O’Donnell and Micael Deegan. Meath had to get a goal but despite a lot of pressure just managed to get a point.

The game may have started slowly, but the large crowd were treated to a great game of football and it was a pity there had to be a loser on the night. Dublin will certainly be putting it up to Westmeath in the final.

 Dublin’s, Michael Deegan, got the ‘Man of the match’ award

 Scorers for Dublin: Michael Deegan 1-7, Conor Gallagher 0-5, Sam Tully and Gregory Murphy 0-2 each, Eoghan O’Donnell and Jamie Doyle 0-1 each

 Scorers for Meath: Ruarí Ó Coillean 1-2, Keith Doyle 1-0, Niall Lyons 0-3, Niall Kane, Nathan O’Brien, Stefan Kelly, Jack Gore, James McEntee and Robbie McDonnell 0-1 each

Ref: Joe McQuillan (Cavan)


Dublin survive in Extra Time

Dublin 1-18 Meath 2-11 aet

Dublin at the 3rd time of asking in recent times beat Meath to qualify for the Gerry Reilly Final v Westmeath
For a long time it looked as if this game was never going to take off as Meath seemed shot sky and Dublin kicked some poor wides. Indeed after 24 minutes Dublin led 0-2 to 0-1 with a Ruairí OCoileoin free all Meath had to show for an epically dominant 1st quarter, Dublin had replied through 2 Micheal Deegan point as the fact that the counties had played twice in recent weeks seemed to have a negative effect on both teams. In those last 6 minutes things did pick some what as the scores doubled with Conor Gallager and Sam Tully pointing for Dublin and Substitute Nathan O’Brien replying for Meath for the Dubs to lead 0-4 to 0-2 at the break.

Dublin took the game by the scruff of the neck as their shoot on sight policy in the 3rd quarter paid off and they reeled off 1-7 to Meaths 0-2 with points from Deegan (3), Gallagher (2) 1 free, Tully and Gregory Murphy. Deegan had powered to the net on 37 minutes as Meath had replied through Niall Kane and Substitute Niall Lyons.

As in almost every game in this competition Meath lifted their game for the remainder of the half with Lyons kicking two frees, Stefan Kelly hitting a good point and another substitute Keith Doyle finding space to goal. Another good move and OCoileoin fired another goal yet another Substitute Jack Gore hit a great point under pressure to level the game.

Excitement level where high at this stage and Tully steadied Dublin with a point but James McEntee on 60 minutes levelled the game 2-19 to 1-12 both sides had chances to win it in stoppage time but chances went a begging and the half ended level.

In extra time Deegan and Murphy pointed from Dublin while a powerful OCoilleoin shot was pushed over by James Murtagh in the Dublin goal so Dublin went in a the mini break a point to the good.

A strong last 10 minutes by Dublin whose physical strength became more evident in the 2nd half of extra time as Deegan (2), Eoghan ODonnell and a Gallagher free pushed them 5 ahead while a Robbie McDonnell free was all that Meath could muster.

Donaghmore/Ashbournes playing for Dublin, Michael Deegan was awarded Player of the Match and his tally of 1-7 was crucial for Dublin.

Meath had good performances from Anthony Neary, Niall Kane, Niall Lyons and Jack Gore.

Dublin Scores; Michael Deegan (1-7) 1 free, Conor Gallagher (0-5) 2 frees, Sam Tully (0-2), Gregory Murphy (0-2), Eoghan ODonnell (0-1), Jamie Doyle (0-1).
Meath Scores; Ruairí OCoilleoin (1-2), Keith Doyle (1-0), Niall Lyons (0-3) 2 frees, Nathan OBrien, Niall Kane, Stefan Kelly, Jack Gore, James McEntee and Robbie McDonnell (0-1) each.

Dublin; James Murtagh (Whitehall Colmcille); Eoin OConnor (St Finians), Eoghan Hamill (St Sylvesters), Conor Mullins (Clontarf), Gabriel Dennehy (Naomh Mearnog), Alan Kavanagh (St Sylvesters), Sean Cleary (Lucan); Tom Hanifan (Ballyboden), Ciaran Smith (Skerries), Conor Gallagher (Lucan), Gregory Murphy (St Vincents), Cillain Sheanon (Cuala), Sam Tully (Ballinteer), Michael Deegan (Donaghmore/Ashbourne), Daniel Campbell (Lucan). Subs; Eoghan ODonnell (Whitehall) for Smith,Jamie Doyle (Ballymun) for Sheanon.

Meath; Andrew Markey (Dunboyne); James O’Malley (OMahonys), Mark Sheridan (Dunboyne) Liam Ferguson (Gaeil Colmcille); Kevin Traynor (Killary Emmets), Anthony Neary (Na Fianna), Niall Kane (Simonstown); Robbie Bourke (Trim), Ruairí O’Grady (St Colmcilles); Ruairí O’Coileain (Dunsany), Stefan Kelly (Ballivor),Eamon Sheridan (Seneschalstown); James McEntee (St Vincents/Curraha), David Dillon (O’Mahonys), Robbie McDonnell (Walterstown).

Subs; Evan McGovern (St Vincents/Curraha) for Ferguson, Nathan O’Brien (Simonstown) for McDonnell, Niall Lyons (Seneschalstown) for Bourke, Keith Doyle (Dunboyne) for Dillon, Jack Gore (Rathkenny) for E. Sheridan, Extra Time; David Toner (St Vincents/Curraha) for M Sheridan, Conor Murphy (O’Mahonys for Kelly, R McDonnell for McEntee.


Gerry Reilly U-16 FT 2011 – Results from the ‘Round Robin’ Series

Sat. 2 July Westmeath 5-8 Meath 2-13
Sun. 3 July Dublin 3-20 Louth 2-8
Sun. 17 July Louth 10-15 Meath 4-4
Sun. 17 July Westmeath 1-10 Dublin 1-2
Sat. 23 July Westmeath 0-12 Louth 1-7
Sun. 24 July Meath 2-16 Dublin 1-10

1st Play-off (7 Aug)

Meath 3-12 Louth 2-5

2nd Play-off (21 Aug.)

Dublin 1-18 Meath 2-11 (AET)

Big game for Meath and Dublin

posted 16 Aug 2011, 18:39 by Oldcastle GFC   [ updated 16 Aug 2011, 18:45 ]

Meath take on Dublin on Sunday next, 21 August, to decide who will meet Westmeath in this year’s Final. Meath had a crucial win over Dublin in the ‘Round Robin’ series to keep their hopes alive of reaching the final. Dublin will be out to avenge that defeat. An exciting game is in prospect and a big crowd is expected.

Gerry Reilly FT: Meath reverse Louth result

posted 13 Aug 2011, 20:50 by Oldcastle GFC   [ updated 13 Aug 2011, 20:53 ]

Meath 3-12 Louth 2-5

As in the Minor early in the year Meath took their second chance and beat Louth to knock them out of the competition and progress to a second playoff v Dublin.

Things looked good for the Wee County in the first quarter as with Cian Doyle in good form they took a 2-4 to 0-0 lead. Doyle netted inside the first minute and three pointed frees from him along with a point from play and a goal from Josh Arrowsmith had the Wee County dreaming of another big win and the Meath contingent thinking that they would be back in the nightmare scenario that happened the last time the side meet. It was not to be and by the 60th minute Meath had managed a 20 point turn around.

Eamon Sheridan started the comeback with neat and Ruairí OCoileain hit a well struck 45 to give Meath a foothold. Another point from Stefan Kelly and when Sheridan found the net from a tight angle Meath where well and truly back in the game. O Coileain pointed another free and Stefan Kelly scrambled another goal the sides where level. A major decision in the comeback was the switching of Anthony Neary to mark dangerman Doyle and not only was Neary successful he went on to win the Player of the Match trophy for a fine performance.
Meath took the game to Louth in the second half and the Louth lads had no answer as Nathan O’Brien (3), James McEntee (2) opened up a gap and when Substitute Fergal Cleary when “Christy Toye like” ghosted through when only on the pitch as few seconds to hammer home a third Meath goal. Meath shut out the game with more points from Niall Kane, Robbie Bourke and Cleary.
Louth did manage a point from centre back Jonathon Connolly but that was their only for 48 minutes as Meath totally dominated in most areas.

Meath now play Dublin on Sunday, 21 August, in a second playoff for the right to play Westmeath in the Final.

Meath – Andrew Markey (Dunboyne); James OMalley (OMahonys), Mark Sheridan (Dunboyne), Liam Ferguson (Gaeil Colmcille); Kevin Traynor (Killary Emmets), Anthony Neary (Na Fianna), Niall Kane (Simonstown Gaels); Robbie Bourke (0-1) (Trim), Ruairí O’ Grady (St Colmcilles); Ruairí O Coileain (Dunsany) (0-2), Stefan Kelly (1-1) (Ballivor), Eamon Sheridan (1-1) (Senechalstown); James McEntee (0-2) (St Vincents/Curraha), David Dillon (OMahonys), Nathan OBrien (0-3) (Simonstown Gaels). Subs; Ben Carolan (Dunboyne) for M. Sheridan, Fergal Cleary (1-1) (Dunsany) for McEntee, Christopher Meade (Rathkenny) for Traynor, Freddie Newman (Gaeil Colmcille) for Kelly, Ronan Mooney (Killary Emmets) for Dillon, Conor OHalloran (North Meath Gaels), Cathal Burke (Dunsany), Kevin Ryan (Summerhill), David Toner (St Vincents/Curraha), Joseph Wallace (Ratoath), Jack McCarney (Donaghmore/Ashbourne), Conor Murray (OMahonys), Shane Gallogly (Dunshaughlin)

Louth – Liam Clarke (Sean OMahonys); Paddy Winters (Naomh Mairtin), Emmet Duffy (Sean McDermotts), Daniel Bannon (Stabannon Parnells); Ronan Mulholland (Kilkerly Emmets), Jonathon Connolly (0-1) Sean OMahonys), Ryan Traynor (Geraldines); Robert Curan (Clan na Gael), Sean McLaughlin (Young Irelands); Josh Arrowsmith (1-0) Geraldines), Sean OConnor (St Fechins), Evan Owens (Westerns); Ciaran OConnor (St Fechins), Cian Doyle(1-4) (OConnells), Rory Brodigan (Nomh Mairtin

Play-off to decide who meets Westmeath in the Final

posted 13 Aug 2011, 20:47 by Oldcastle GFC   [ updated 13 Aug 2011, 20:49 ]

Gerry Reilly U-16 FT  2011 – Results from the ‘Round Robin’ Series

Sat. 2 July Westmeath 5-8 Meath 2-13
Sun. 3 July Dublin 3-20 Louth 2-8
Sun. 17 July Louth 10-15 Meath 4-4
Sun. 17 July Westmeath 1-10 Dublin 1-2
Sat. 23 July Westmeath 0-12 Louth 1-7
Sun. 24 July Meath 2-16 Dublin 1-10

Westmeath qualified for the Final with maximum points

Dublin, Louth and Meath finished level on points resulting in a play-off as to who meets Westmeath in the final.

The draw for the play-offs was made after the Meath/Dublin game which resulted in Dublin getting a bye and thus playing the winners of the Meath/Louth play-off game