Entertaining Minor match ends in draw

Oldcastle 2-11, Kilmainhamwood 2-11

The LM/FM Minor League got underway this evening 22 June 2021) with Kilmainhamwood travelling to a damp Millbrook to take on the Oldcastle lads. These teams have been very evenly matched over the years, the last two meetings resulting in a win apiece. The opposition were first on the scoreboard with a point from play, but a nice Kane Cullen intercept made its way upfield to Nathan Gibney who blasted it to the back of the net for a great goal. With the next play of the game, a Ryan Kevin catch was fed to Eoin Smith who was blocked near the goal, but he got it to the waiting JP Purcell who also found the back of the net. KMW couldn’t get past Fionn McCabe and Ciaran Connell, and

Oldcastle could do no wrong at this point, with the next Kilmainhamwood kick-out spectacularly brought down by Ryan Kevin on the 45 yard line: he turned and kicked it straight back over for another point, with Eoin Smith taking one of his own soon after. The opposition now added their second point of the match, but some good work from Tom Lynch, Tomas Kizelis and Brian Hetherton got the ball in to Eoin Smith for another Oldcastle point. The waterbreak then seemed to energise KMW who now took three points in a row, before Ryan Kevin added the next for Oldcastle. Kilmainhamwood replied with what looked like a near certain goal, missing by just inches, but they made no mistake with the rebound and put it in the back of the net, leaving the gap at just two points at half-time: Oldcastle 2-05, Kilmainhamwood 1-06.

The second-half got underway with Kilmainhamwood adding on a score, Ryan Kevin restoring the two-point gap with a well-taken free. Eoin Muldoon was busy and made great work to save some accurate shots on his goal. His next kick-out was brought forward via Alan Gilsenan and Lloyd Colleran, finding Rory Crawley in the corner, he made great work to get it near the goals under enemy fire and putting it over for the point. He added another soon after, the lead now four, when Kilmainhamwood fired in another goal to bring it back to a one-point match. Groans all round when they were then awarded and scored a free, the sides now level. Two scores from Ryan Kevin were both clawed back by KMW, and with the minutes ticking away JP Purcell was awarded a free. Ryan stepped up and put it over the bar. With referee Gerry Skelly looking at the watch, the ball went in the opposite direction, with the Oldcastle backs under severe pressure: Cormac O’Connell, Lloyd Colleran and James Gibney putting in some great defence work and clearances, Jamie Pakenham adding speed on the wings. KMW kept coming though, and were very unlucky not to score a goal in the dying seconds of the game, it going wide by inches, but the resulting 45 sailed over the bar to leave the final score Oldcastle 2-11, Kilmainhamwood 2-11.

Oldcastle coaches Rory McHugh, Packie Kevin and Matthew Cadden had an exciting first match in charge, unlucky not the come away with the win but equally lucky to have one point in the bag.

The next match is away to Dunshaughlin next Tuesday evening at 7.30pm.

May be an image of 17 people, people standing and outdoors

Oldcastle: Eoin Muldoon, Alan Gilsenan, Brian Hetherton, Ciaran Connell, Fionn McCabe, Lloyd Colleran, Cormac O’Connell, Ryan Kevin (0-07 (5f)), Rory Crawley (0-02), Nathan Gibney (1-00) Tom Lynch, Kane Cullen, Eoin Smith (0-02), Tomas Kizelis, JP Purcell (1-00). Subs: Padraig Brady, James Gibney, Jamie Pakenham, Rian Mulvanny.