Powerful display from Oldcastle in the LMFM MFC Semi-Final

Oldcastle 1-16 St Oliver’s 0-6

Oldcastle secured a final spot with a comprehensive win over near neighbours St Oliver’s in the LMFM Minor Div 3 Championship Semi Final under the lights in Millbrook on Wednesday (3 October 2018).   The Ballinlough, Moylagh & St Brigids combination started the brightest and had 3 points on the board despite playing against the wind.  St Oliver’s looked like they were going to take control of the game, but Oran Mulvanny’s left foot shot went over the bar for Oldcastle’s first score of the game.   Colin Hawdon added a point from a free before Pearse Sheridan won the ball and tore through the St Olivers defence.  His shot was saved by the keeper, but Dj Monaghan was on hand to fire the rebound to the back of the net.

The momentum had swing in Oldcastle’s favour and Pearse Sheridan added a long range point to leave the score Oldcastle 1-03 St Oliver’s 0-3.   Oldcastle’s defenders were starting to win their battles and cut out a number of attacks with Louis Colleran very strong at full back and Cillian Hanlon taking every opportunity to attack from corner back.  Colin Hawdon converted 2 frees each side of a Darren Connell point.  St Oliver’s had a great chance to pull a score back but some good tracking back by forwards Jack Murphy and Cillian Connell ensured that the shot was wide of the target.     A strong solo run by Cillian Hanlon ripped through the St Oliver’s cover and set up James McCluskey who made no mistake to slot over the bar.  After a nervous first 10 minutes Oldcastle hit 1-8 without reply to leave the half time score Oldcastle 1-08 St Oliver’s 0-3.

The second half started just like the first with St Olivers getting on the scoreboard first with 2 points.  Oran Mulvanny was winning a lot of ball around midfield and this set the platform for Pearse Sheridan and Colin Hawdon to attack and convert a point each.   Ciaran Healy was only minutes on the field when he finished to the net.  The umpire waved the green flag,  but referee Seamus O’Connor overruled his officials and declared a square ball.  Oldcastle emptied the bench and another sub Colin Halpin was working well and set up Cillian Connell for a score before he grabbed a point himself.   St Olivers were not taking it lying down and Ross McCann pulled off two fine saves as the visitors looked for that all important goal to get back into the game.   Ross’s accurate kick outs where vital for Oldcastle as they looked to hold on to the ball in the last quarter.  Darragh Reilly made a great block to prevent another score.  Jack Murphy got his reward for his performance with a fine point.  County Minor Colin Hawdon was fouled as was about to pull the trigger right in front of goal.  The result was a 20 metre free which was converted by Cillian Connell as Colin was receiving some treatment.

The large crowd were treated to a good honest game of football from both sides, however the Oldcastle lads will have the bragging rights when they all go to school together in the morning.  An interesting note was the fact that Oldcastle’s 2 midfielders and all 6 starting forwards got on the scoreboard.

Summerhill won their semi final against Ballinabrackey  and will be waiting for Oldcastle when the final is played in the coming weeks.


Oldcastle: Ross McCann, Darragh Reilly, Louis Colleran, Cillian Hanlon, Aaron Getty, Jack Fox, Joseph Lynch, Oran Mulvanny (0-1), Pearse Sheridan (0-3), Jack Murphy (0-1), Colin Hawdon (0-6), Darren Connell (0-1), James McCluskey (0-1), Cillian Connell (0-2), Dj Monaghan (1-0).

Subs: Conor Smith, Colin Halpin (0-1), Ciaran Healy, Lloyd Colleran, Conor Boylan.